Friday, August 31, 2012

Connectedness

I was reading an article the other day on "What do top leaders do..." and underneath the article, a raging debate was underway, focusing on the pros and cons of staying connected 24X7, and constantly focusing on your emails. I smiled to myself, as i count myself part of this infamous group.

Why do i percieve it that way, consider this :
  • I have my official email configured on my blackberry, previously my Nokia, my IPAD, and can access office email through my personal laptop, kindle and my official laptop of course
  • I have connectivity at home with a high-speed broadband, a work provided tata photon when i am on the move, wireless internet at work, an international wireless card, for working at airports, a personal Tata Photon connection etc.
  • I check my emails in the morning, when I wake up; I check it precisely every 3 minutes 
  • My inbox has always '0' emails
  • I worry about internet running out, hence always take unlimited GPRS plans :-)
  • I work through most plane journeys
  • I catch up on email while driving to work or a client location
  • I have BBM, Google Talk, Yahoo Chat, Office Communicator all enabled on my mobile
..... i can go on


Some of this will seem bordering on obsessive compulsive disorder but I will argue the Yin and the Yang to this connected ness.
  • To me the customer is paramount, and hence responding to an email or call within 12-24 hours is a non-negotiable, except when I am away, and I have an assigned delegate for the time frame.
  • Social media allows me to meet old friends, so it is a blessing
  • BBM is cost effective, and allows me to connect with people all over the world  including my local husband :-)
  • Listen to some great music from all over the world thanks to the amazing radio stations
In the last so many years, this is one trait, which has worked for me and my clients surprisingly well.

But let us look at the flip side....
  • Having so many avenues for staying connected and over use, kills your ability to focus, innovate, and confuses your senses
  • It even numbs your ability to exercise your core brain functions, why think when you can google..
  • Your body is more tired, if you work all through plane journeys
  • Typing or even touch typing stresses your limbs, this is coming from some one who wore a splint on her left hand owing to over use of her blackberry
  • Social skills if not used a lot, tend to get rusty....
Now there is enough research to argue the merits of staying connected as a fast track to the top, there is enough push out there that top leaders take time for self, to reflect on their next big win.

It is not my business to tell you what to do; am sure you are wise and all there... Keen to hear what works for you....:-)

No comments: