Good morning ! It is 545 am in the morning, I am waiting around to go to Purdue for a football match. Yes, these are my last few weeks in Chicago.
So back to topic, I was reading NY Times the other day and I came across this interesting article "Race Wasn’t an Issue to Him, Which Was an Issue to Me ". As i read this article it talks about a lady trying to make relationships work with people from different races. Interesting I thought - does race or caste or color or background at large - our culture actually matter to the relationships we make ? Coming from a Hindu family of three, I have been inducted into this world where not only believing in God is critical, but visible expression of that belief is sacrosanct. Reading possibly books on our culture, mythology..learning the fine arts is important. I have a granny who stll lives in a street with temples at the start and end of the street, mostly high caste Hindus. Does this impact me ? I would like to say No. XL MBA, 6 six years on the road..may have killed it. This topic of race/caste does not make a difference to what I say or do or feel.
Today I feel different. In my unconscious...i do believe in God, i have developed a taste for the arts and music. I also like people around me to have a taste for the music / even if not the same genre/ kind of music. It influences my thinking towards life at large,my values, my tendencies, my subtle inclusion and exclusion of people. I may not go to a temple every day but come crunch time, you will see me at the Rama Temple at Lodhi Road ( Class Xth Board exams..we all did it ).
Do i have to retain all of it ? maybe yes maybe no..depends on me i guess. I have given away so many parts of it, the needless revelry, ostentatious celebrations on every small occassion. I understand the reasons behind the rituals and festivals and practise them although with much more awareness / understanding.
I celebrate fests but in a more low key and responsible manner. I respect my elders but my way of showing it changes depending on where I am. It is also different from my sister or my brother. My Granny would like it if i touch her feet, Mom would like it if i gave her a hug and called her every day. Dad would like more emails.
Respect has so many different ways of showing it.
I have a friend who comes from a culture of self help, time is critical, family is at the top of priority list. In my culture success, hard work, frugality was inculcated. There are so many times these clash.. Two young independant people.. with similar education, age, born around the same time but unconsciously different orientations.
I dont think anyone can say No to this question of whether their culture impacts them. The impact is so unconscious , you dont even know enough to shake it off.
Well linked this article for all of you. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/03/fashion/03love.html
Signing off now.
No comments:
Post a Comment